Monday, July 16, 2018

Why "Hopeful Patience"?


What does it mean to me to dwell in hope? In many ways, I feel like my husband and I have had a slow start in life. Of course, this phrase lacks nuance and has some problematic underlying assumptions. Life starts at the moment of conception; once our earthly life begins, it keeps going until our departure from this world. In that sense, I’m misguided when I believe that I’m “waiting for my life to start.” However, there are some markers of an “established” adult life that it feels like we are having to wait a long time to reach. We’ve struggled financially for most of our marriage, and it has been difficult to find a vision of how we might sustain ourselves financially. Feeling like neither of us has a stable career has often compromised my sense of being an established adult. I also have now spent years longing for a child, and at times I have felt that becoming a parent was somehow necessary in order to see my life as having really “begun.”
Through this blog, I want to talk about the ways that I’m learning to dwell in the hope of the Lord, as I wait on Him to move in the “big” areas of my life, and as I seek to find Him moving in the “small,” daily parts of my life. (I’m putting these adjectives in quotes, because who’s to say that God’s action in my daily life can’t be just as significant as when He brings me to milestones?) You can find this type of post in the section “Growth in the Waiting.”
I also want to talk about my favorite works of art—what I love about them and what I’ve learned from them. I’ll put those posts under “Beauty in the Waiting.” And, finally, I’ll use the section “Encouragement in the Waiting” to feature quotes from wise thinkers that are helping me pursue hopeful patience.

No comments:

Post a Comment