Tuesday, January 8, 2019

My "Historical Friend": Mother Olga of Alaska

On December 27th, Joy Clarkson featured an icon of St. Macrina the Younger on her Instagram (@joynessthebrave) and wrote about how she sees St. Macrina as a "historical friend," someone who "reached her hand through many centuries to be my friend and my mentor." She asked her readers, "Do you have any of those historical friends?" 
I wanted to respond with a comment, but I knew that what I wanted to say would be a bit long for that forum. So I am responding here instead. 
Mother Olga of Alaska has yet to be formally added to the canon of Orthodox Christian saints, but many in the Church view her as a holy person. Born in 1916, she fell asleep in the Lord in 1979. Ever since I first heard her story, I have felt drawn to her as a spiritual mother, and she is one of the saints whose presence feels more real and active in my life.
Mother Olga, a native Alaskan, was a priest's wife in the small village of Kwethluk, in southwest Alaska. Beginning in 1794, the native people of Alaska were introduced to Orthodox Christianity by Russian missionaries, and, over time, the native cultures took on Orthodox beliefs and practices, making them their own. Mother Olga was raised in this environment, so that Orthodoxy was woven into every aspect of her life.
She led an unassuming life, caring for her family, participating in the life of the Church, and ministering to young women in her community, including serving as a midwife. She had 13 children, of whom 8 survived to adulthood, and delivered many of them without the help of another midwife. She was especially known for counseling young women who were victims of abuse.
When Mother Olga fell asleep in the Lord after suffering from cancer, the normally frozen November environment underwent a Spring-like thaw that enabled those from nearby villages to travel to her funeral. Birds were seen flying overhead that should have been long gone by that time of year. This weather miracle was the first indication that she was especially beloved by God for her holy life.
Later, a woman in New York was undergoing therapy after suffering years of abuse. While praying, she had a vision in which the Virgin Mary appeared, accompanied by a native woman whom she called "St. Olga." Olga ministered to the woman, helping her to "give birth" to a placenta-like mass that represented the trauma she had suffered. After the vision, the woman investigated and learned who Mother Olga was. She contacted Mother Olga's grown children in Kwethluk and told them of her experience. The family sent back a picture with a group of Alaskan women in it, and the woman correctly identified Olga. Since that time, other women have also had visions of Mother Olga, and many Orthodox Christians have begun to ask her to pray for them.
A number of years ago, I read about Mother Olga in the book Orthodox Alaska by Fr. Michael Oleksa, and I was struck by how real her life feels. The fact that she lived so recently makes her seem easier to relate to than more ancient saints. And I love that she became more and more holy through the kinds of daily tasks that I do: caring for her home, caring for her family, going to church, and praying. She makes me feel like I can become a holy person, too. I have an image of her on basic printer paper posted above my stove, and recently a dear friend who has spent time in Alaska got me an icon of her, which is sitting on our table. I like to ask Mother Olga for help as I go about my daily tasks; I've been asking her to help me become the best wife that I can be and, in due time, the best mother I can be.
I am so blessed to have Mother Olga as one of my spiritual mothers and to know that she is praying for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment