Tuesday, October 1, 2019

God's Providence in the Life of Fr. Peter Gillquist: A Review of "Memories of His Mercy"


As a member of the Antiochian Archdiocese, I know Fr. Peter Gillquist for his instrumental role in leading the former “Evangelical Orthodox” into the Antiochian branch of the Orthodox Church. My parish, St. Anthony the Great in San Diego, was founded and led for many years by Fr. Jon Braun, who worked closely with Fr. Peter in searching for and joining the Orthodox Church.
Written near the end of Fr. Peter’s life, Memories of His Mercy was published after his falling asleep in the Lord in July 2012. As the subtitle states, the book is filled with “Recollections of the Grace and Providence of God” that appeared throughout his life.
It was delightful to get to know more of Fr. Peter’s life story in this remarkable, encouraging book. It felt like Fr. Peter was sitting beside me and regaling me with stories of his life. The conversational tone makes the book a quick and easy read.
Fr. Peter’s legacy is one of a great evangelist. As such, it is no surprise that when he speaks about the Christian faith, he makes profound truths sound straightforward. In one chapter, he discusses the need for evangelical Protestants and Orthodox Christians to dialogue with each other clearly about their beliefs. In writing about the famous debate over whether we as Christians are saved “by faith” or “by works,” Fr. Peter explains, “The fact is, none of us, either through our works or through our faith, are ever going to come up spotless or in any way able to merit our salvation. In the end, it’s got to be the mercy of God that qualifies us” (113). I feel like he boiled this concept down in a way that just makes sense, without sounding complicated or confusing.
I love to hear the stories of how God provided for the Gillquist family’s needs, often at just the right time. That’s the kind of story that strengthens my faith, helping me to keep trusting that God will provide for my family. Fr. Peter writes about finding a $10 bill in the mail when he and his wife were early in their marriage, had no money, and needed to go grocery shopping: “Throughout our lives this kind of thing happened. That day, we hadn’t even known we needed the money, and yet there it was, a total surprise! Over the years, these loving gestures of provision from our Lord have caused us to give thanks to Him; He has known our needs before we even asked Him” (48).
Another quote from the book that I love is, “God would always give us the strength we needed to accomplish any task He asked us to undertake” (62). These are words I want to live by.
Toward the end of the book, Fr. Peter discusses his battle with cancer. He describes deciding to “rely more heavily on the prayers of other saints, both on earth and in heaven” (155). I found this to be an interesting idea, because I tend to think that maybe I’m being lazy or neglectful if I ask others to pray for my needs but don’t remember to pray for those needs myself. I thought he made a really meaningful point by saying that “an illness can easily degenerate into a pity party” if we turn inward instead of casting our cares upon the Lord (156). I like the idea that maybe God doesn’t want me to focus on my needs and difficulties as much as on “the greater reality of Christ, His Church, and His Kingdom” (156).
According to the back cover, Fr. Peter’s stated goal for this book was “to share with other people the faithfulness of God in a way that I hope will motivate them to trust in Him more than they do now.” That purpose motivated me to read this book, and I’m so glad I did. It is a strong source of encouragement and enrichment for those pursuing the long race of the Christian life.

No comments:

Post a Comment